Knowledge Base

Can I have a public defender appointed to represent me in Municipal Court for my ordinance violation?

Public defenders by state law are not allowed to represent defendants in Municipal Court cases. However, the Municipal Judge may appoint an attorney under the following circumstance: Financial qualification, as determined by information required on the written Application for Appointment of Counsel by the defendant Jail must be part of the intended sentencing imposed by the court.
Updated 12/7/2017 1:33 PM
Was this page helpful? Yes No
Thanks for your feedback!