Fire Department: FAQs

City Government > Departments > Public Safety > Fire Department > Fire Department: FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Return to the Kirksville Fire Department Main Page.

General Questions

  • What is the location and phone number of Fire Department Administration?
    • Kirksville Fire Department, 401 North Franklin, Kirksville, MO 63501; 660.665.3734; fax 660.627.7011
  • How do I get a copy of a fire incident report from the Kirksville Fire Department?
    • Call the Fire Department at 660.665.3734. It can usually be available for pickup, faxed to you, or sent via regular mail, however there is a fee based on the report length involved.
  • Do you charge for Fire Department services?
    • No. All fire department services are free of charge to citizens and businesses in our Fire District. These include emergency and non-emergency incident response, smoke detector installation and maintenance, fire safety and code compliance inspections, and fire prevention programs.
  • Who do I call in case of a fire or fire-related emergency?
    • For any emergency in the Kirksville area, you should dial 911. The E-911 Central Dispatch, dispatches all emergency calls in the City of Kirksville and Adair County. For non-emergency calls, please call the number for the department you wish to reach, or call the Communications Center at 660.665.5621.
  • Why do I have to dial 9-1-1? Can't I call the fire station direct and save time?
    • The 9-1-1 emergency center is staffed 24/7 where the Fire Department may be on an emergency scene and might not receive your call, wasting time for you to redial 911.

Back to Top of Page.

Fire Department Membership 

  • How do I find out what fire department responds to my address?
    • If you reside in Kirksville, the Kirksville Fire Department responds at no cost.
    • Typically if your address is 5 digits long you reside in the county (example; 12345 Eagle Road). You may call Central Dispatch at 660.665.5621; they can look up your location by your address and inform you what fire department responds to you.
  • If I reside in Adair County, Missouri, and am served by a rural fire department, do I have to pay yearly dues for them to respond?
    • Each rural department within Adair County has their own program/fee for being a member of their department. Once you establish which department you are with, you will have to contact that entity to find out what their fees/services are.
  • Will the Kirksville Fire Department still respond if I live in Adair County and am a member of a rural fire department?
    • The Kirksville Fire Department only responds in Adair County if requested by a Rural Fire Department and if they request mutual aid.

Back to Top of Page.


  • How can I become a Kirksville Fire Department Reserve Firefighter?
    • You can call 660.665.3734. We will put you in contact with a Volunteer Chief as quickly as possible if you are interested in serving as a Volunteer in the County.  Reserves for the Kirksville Fire Department go through the same testing process as full time Firefighter.  Applications for the Kirksville Fire Department are only accepted at the Missouri Career Center (Job Service) at the time of advertising for hire.   Reserves/volunteers are a valuable asset to our department as well as surrounding rural departments.
  • How can I become a career (paid) firefighter?
    • See firefighter employment information on the Fire Department's Website or contact the Fire Department at 660.665.3734. Applications are only accepted at time of actual testing.
  • How often does the Fire Department test/hire?
    • The Kirksville Fire Department only tests upon a need basis, usually every couple of years.
  • What is the Eligibility List?
    • This is a list comprised of applicants who have actually went through and completed the testing process and found to be perhaps suitable for future hire, but were not hired at the time of testing, or hired as a Reserve Firefighter, and can be called back in at a future date for re-interview for possible hire. This list is to aid in not having to test every time a vacancy occurs as the testing process is very lengthy.

Back to Top of Page.

Fire Prevention

  • How can I find out what programs the Fire Department offers or schedule a fire truck or a firefighter at my function?
    • You may visit the Central Fire Station located at 401 North Franklin, Kirksville, Missouri, or contact the department at 660.665.3734 to set up a tour, etc.
  • "Does the Fire Department hold birthday parties for kids at the Stations?"
    • We don't hold parties at the station, but you are welcome to schedule a tour at the fire station. Call the Fire Administration Office at 660.665.3734 for scheduling.

Back to Top of Page.


  • How do I get a permit for professional fireworks?
    • Contact the Fire Chief at 660.665.3734 for displays within the city limits of Kirksville, Missouri.
  • Are fireworks permitted in Kirksville?
    • Discharging of "consumer (Explosive's 1.4G)" is allowed by persons on their premises as follows: between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m. on June thirtieth through July fifth; provided, however, if a complaint is received and verified by the police department for disturbance of the peace of the neighbors, discharging shall immediately cease.

Back to Top of Page.


  • Who do I call about a fire extinguisher that doesn't work?
    • Look in the Yellow Pages under fire extinguisher or fire extinguishing systems.
  • Will the Fire Department refill my fire extinguisher?
    • The Fire Department does not refill fire extinguishers. We even have to have a vendor refill our extinguishers as well. An approved and licensed vendor can by found in the Yellow Pages.
  • What type of fire extinguisher is best for my home?
    • A multi-purpose fire extinguisher is best for the home. Look for the rating to be at least 2A:10B:C on the label. This extinguisher can be used on any type of fire commonly found in the home. It will often be labeled A-B-C and may be located at many City of Kirksville retail establishments.
  • How often should fire extinguishers be serviced?
    • Fire Extinguishers placed in a single-family residence are not required for any service or certification. However the Kirksville Fire Department recommends all extinguishers be checked on an annual basis.

Back to Top of Page.

Smoke Detectors /Carbon Monoxide Detectors

  • Are smoke detectors needed in my new home?
    • Yes. Smoke detectors are required on every level and in every sleeping room. We recommend the same configuration for existing homes.
  • Where do I place smoke detectors?
    • As a general rule there should be a smoke detector in every sleeping area, outside of every sleeping area, and one on every floor.
  • How often do I need to change the battery in my smoke detector?
    • We recommend that residents change the batteries in smoke detectors every six months. A good time to change the batteries is during the spring and fall time changes. We also recommend that you check your smoke detectors every month.
  • Can smoke detectors be battery operated or must they be hardwired (connected directly to an AC line)?
    • In all new construction Smoke Detectors must be hard wired, in existing family dwelling you may still use battery Smoke Detectors they still need to follow the placement mentioned above.
  • Why should I have a Carbon Monoxide detector in my home?
    • A carbon monoxide detector is designed to alert you of fumes (carbon monoxide) which is an odorless, colorless, tasteless and invisible gas produced by burning fuels (gasoline, wood, coal, propane, oil, and/or natural gas for example) for added protection for you and your family. They are required in the City of Kirksville by city ordinance if you have any of the above conditions in your home.
  • Where should Carbon Monoxide Detectors be placed?
    • Carbon Monoxide Detectors should be placed within 40 feet of all sleeping areas, and on every level of your home.
  • Will the Fire Department respond if my carbon monoxide detector activates?
    • Yes, but you must place a 9-1-1 call. The fire department will respond to test the air for carbon monoxide. Please shut your doors and windows when exiting the house this will help the crews to find the carbon monoxide.

Back to Top of Page.


  • When an emergency vehicle is approaching that is displaying emergency lights and sirens, what should I do?
    • By Missouri law, you are required to pull to the right and stop. This allows fire apparatus adequate and clear lanes to safely and quickly continue its response.
  • Why does the emergency equipment run with lights and siren, and then just turn them off?
    • On occasion, the fire engine and ambulance will be driving with lights and sirens and then suddenly turn them off--perhaps only to turn into a shopping center parking lot or side street. Be assured that when this happens it means we have received information through our 911 dispatchers that the caller or incident is no longer a dire emergency. It is what we call "being cancelled". Any or all of the apparatus may continue to drive to the call or perhaps some will return to the Fire Station.
  • Why does the Fire Department bring the fire engine just for a simple inspection?
    • Two reasons: First, these inspections are conducted by on-duty engine companies that must be ready to respond to an emergency call from the field.
  • Why do so many fire apparatus respond to simple incidents?
    • Fire Department units are dispatched according to information received by the 9-1-1 operator. Firefighters are prepared to deal with the worst that could happen.
    • A structure fire requires a number of people to do all the assigned tasks. Firefighting teams are assigned certain responsibilities such as fire extinguishing, search and rescue, ventilation, salvage, safety, accountability and rapid intervention teams when firefighters become trapped or injured.
  • Why do I see firefighters cutting holes in the roof of a building on fire?
    • This is called "venting the roof" or "ventilation." It is impossible for firefighters to see in such an environment. When a hole is made in the roof because the building is "vented," the smoke and gases escape because heat and smoke rise. It makes it much easier for the firefighters in the building to see.
  • Why do fire trucks respond to motor vehicle accidents?
    • We carry the “jaws of life” and are able to open the car up to get to the victims.
    • Automobile accidents present other hazards such as potential fire, ruptured fuel tanks, and/or the presence of hazardous materials.
  • Why do fire trucks respond to emergency medical calls?
    • Firefighters are also trained as EMTs (Emergency Medical Technician). The primary goal is to provide additional support to the local ambulance district
  • When you're not out fighting fires, what do you do?
    • Firefighters work a 24-hour shift. We eat, sleep and work out of our fire station. All daily maintenance on fire department vehicles is performed at the fire stations. We are involved in educational programs in the schools and to the public. We perform fire inspections at businesses around town and track every hydrant in Kirksville, making sure that they will work when we need it to. We also attend weekly training to help maintain and continuously improve our skills.
  • Does the Fire Department rescue cats from trees?
    • No. The Fire Department does not respond to these requests. The Kirksville Fire Department exists to assist the public in the protection of life and property by minimizing the impact of fire, medical emergencies, and potential disasters. We understand that pets are very important to you. However, to ensure timely response to the types of emergencies listed above, we typically refer stranded animal requests to Animal Control.
  • Do firefighters respond to bee swarms?
    • Citizens should stay away from the swarm if possible and let bees move on to a different area. In a non-emergency situation call a bee control company in your yellow pages in your phone directory. You may dial 911 in the event of an emergency.
  • I locked myself out of my house. Will the Fire Department assist me to gain access?
    • The Kirksville Fire Department must refer occupants to contact a locksmith for this service. This information can be found in the yellow pages.
  • What is an Engine Company?
    • An engine company consists of 2 or more fire fighters on a pumper fire truck. Their primary objective is to respond to fires
  • What is a Ladder Company?
    • A ladder company is the apparatus that has an elevating ladder or a platform. That performs rescues and gives us advantage of fire streams at multi storied buildings.
  • Does the Fire Department fill Swimming Pools?
    • No. The Fire Department does not fill pools nor does it loan fire hose
  • Why do firefighters work a 24 hour shift?
    • We have found that working 24 hours on and 48 hours off works the best for a three shift rotation.

Back to Top of Page.

Hydrant Information 

If you notice a hydrant running and no one is around, it could be the Kirksville Public Works Department flushing the system. You can either call Public Works at 660.785.6943 or the Kirksville Fire Department at 660.665.3734 to verify. The Fire Department does do hydrant testing annually, but most generally will have a truck/personnel on site. 

If you see a hydrant slowly leaking or leaning, or may have been hit by a car, please contact one of the offices listed above also to remedy the situation.

Back to Top of Page.

ISO Rating – City of Kirksville (Insurance Services Office) 

The City of Kirksville has a Class 3 rating according to the Insurance Service Office (ISO). This rate determines what you pay for fire insurance. The lower the rating, the better the insurance rate. 

County Departments usually have a Class 10 rating which the insurance companies utilize for those living outside of Kirksville. Those rates may be obtained from the fire department serving your area in the county.

Back to Top of Page.

Child Safety Seat Installation (Car seats)

  • Does the Fire Department install and/or inspect child car seats?
    • Yes, car seat inspection and/or installation is offered every Saturday morning at the Kirksville Fire Department from 8am-12pm. Car seats available may vary and are based on guidelines set by the State. Call ahead for questions. 660.665.3734.

Back to Top of Page.

Hazardous Material Information 

  • What is a hazardous material?
    • A hazardous material is any item or agent (biological, chemical, physical) which has the potential to cause harm to humans, animals, or the environment, either by itself or through interaction with other factors.

Back to Top of Page.

Open Burning/Recreational Fires 

  • Does the City allow the Open Burning (without a permit) of yard waste/debris?
    • Open burning shall be allowed without prior notification to the fire department only for recreational fires, highway safety flares, smudge pots, and similar occupational needs.
    • Recreational fires shall be utilized for the cooking of food for human consumption or camp fires. They shall be no larger than two (2) feet by two (2) feet by two (2) feet utilizing seasoned dry fire wood and ignited with a small amount of paper. Recreational fires shall be constantly attended until the fire is extinguished. Fire extinguished equipment shall be available for immediate use.
  • Open burning, permit required.
    • Open burning shall be allowed after obtaining a permit from the fire department for leaves, tree limbs, brush, garden waste, commercial land clearing, recognized silvicultural or wildlife management practices, prevention, or control of disease or pests, heating to warm outside workers, and a bonfire. All permits shall be issued to the owner of the land upon which the fire is being kindled.
  • Bonfires; ceremonial purposes only; i.e. pep rallies, fraternities, sororities, etc.
    • Upon receipt of a permit from the fire department, a bonfire shall be no more than six (6) feet by six (6) feet by six (6) feet in dimension and shall burn not longer than four (4) hours. The size and duration of the bonfire shall be increased when it is determined by the fire department that fire safety requirements of the situation and the desirable duration of burn warrant the increase. Fuel for a bonfire shall consist only of seasoned dry firewood and be ignited with a small quantity of paper. The fire shall not be used for waste disposal purposes. The bonfire shall be constantly attended until the fire is extinguished. Fire extinguishing equipment shall be available for immediate use.

Back to Top of Page.

Weather / Warning Systems / Emergency Notifications

  • What notification systems does the City use to inform citizens of weather emergencies?
    • The City uses several different ways to notify citizens of weather emergencies.
      • Out Door Warning Sirens: these sirens are to warn people outside only. You might not hear it in your home.
      • Automated Telephone Notification System (ATNS): this is a system that will dial all telephones in Adair County with a pre-recorded message. This system will dial cell phones if you have registered your cell number with E911.
      • Cable Override: this system will override Cable One with a message.
      • Weather Radios: we encourage all citizens to purchase a weather radio and set it to the two National Weather Towers in the region. The setting for Kirksville on the weather radio is 162.525.             

Back to Top of Page.