Trash Collection Services
This service is enacted automatically by the City when residential water is established. The cost is $11.55 per month, which will be charged on the City utility statements.
Kirksville's recycling program allows newspaper, #1 & #2 plastics, aluminum & tin / steel cans, magazines, and corrugated cardboard to be placed curbside bi-weekly for collection. All cans must be rinsed and clean of any food particles or residue. Cereal, diaper, and packing boxes with colored coatings on them are not allowed. There is no limit to the amount of recycled items, and no charge for their collection.
RTS Waste Services, LLC of Slater, MO is the carrier for trash, recycling and yard waste collection for all Kirksville residents.
RTS Waste Services, LLC.
26308 Quartz Ave.
Slater, MO 65349
For any questions, concerns, or complaints, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Trash Collection is mandatory in Kirksville. Fines may be levied against citizens who have their trash in front of or behind their house for an extended period. Persons who illegally dump their trash in commercial dumpsters or on the road sides will be subject to fines.
- Time of Collection - All trash must be curbside by 6:00 am to ensure pickup.
- Trash cannot be put out before noon of the day preceding your pickup day.
- Trash totes must be returned to the side or back of the residence within 24 hours of trash or recycling being picked up.
- You will be provided with a 65-gallon tote container by RTS Waste Services, LLC, and they are responsible for routine maintenance.
- All trash must be placed in the tote container; bags outside the container will not be collected. The lid must be able to close on the container.
- If you need an additional container, RTS Waste Services, LLC offers this service at a cost of $4.00 per month with a 1-year service agreement
requirement. To add this service and make payment arrangements directly with RTS Waste Services, LLC, call 660.784.2474.
- Each household may place one large household item at the curb each week alongside your trash tote container. The item must not be wet or water saturated. Items NOT accepted include: batteries, tires, liquids (such as paint, gas or oil), construction, demolition or remodeling materials, yard waste, vegetation, and appliances. A separate appliance pickup will be held yearly.
- If you have problems placing trash or recyclable materials at the curb because of a disability or age, you can call RTS Waste Services, LLC at 660.784.2474. They will assist you with your special needs.
Keep in mind, there is NO CHARGE and NO LIMIT for recyclable items. Any recyclables that do not fit in your container may be placed in a transparent bag next to the container.
You may request a 65-gallon tote container for recycling by contacting RTS Waste Services at 660.784.2474. Recycling will be picked up every other week on the same day as your scheduled trash pickup. If you constantly exceed the capacity of your recycling tote container, an additional tote may be obtained, at no extra charge, by contacting RTS Waste Services.
- Glass items can be recycled as a free service within the City of Kirksville through RTS Waste Services, LLC. A glass recycling tote has to be purchased at the City Hall front counter for a one-time fee of $3.99. Set it curbside on the first Monday of each month.
- All colors of drinking glasses, vases, and food and beverage containers will be accepted, such as bottles and jars. There is no need to remove the lids or labels, but we highly recommend they be rinsed out prior to drop off. WINDSHIELDS, MIRRORS, CERAMIC, PORCELAIN, OR MILK GLASS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED.
- All clean plastics #1 and #2, as well as milk jugs and grocery bags can be recycled. Be sure to rinse and remove the lid before placing in the recycling container. Crushing will help save space.
- All types of metal cans are acceptable (aluminum, steel, and tin). Rinse the cans and remove the labels before placing in the recycling container. Crushing will help save space.
- Corrugated cardboard is allowed. Make sure it is not contaminated with food or other waste.
Chipboard (Food boxes)
- All types of Chipboard (food boxes) are not allowed.
- Make sure that all paper products are kept dry, and clean. DO NOT INCLUDE PAPER THAT IS DIRTY WITH FOOD.
- Newspapers, mixed colored paper, junk mail, etc. can be recycled.
- Shredded paper must be bagged separately for collection.
- Corrugated cardboard boxes may be placed in the recycling tote containers. If there are too many to place in the container, you must break them down and bundle them together and place the bundle on the ground next to the container.
Yard Waste Disposal & Brush Site
The City Brush Site is currently open permanently located at 22376 State Hwy 6 and is for Kirksville Residents only. Anyone caught dumping who lives outside the City Limits - or contractors dumping without a license - could face fines and/or penalties. As mentioned above, contractors must purchase a license to dump at the City Brush Site. If City Brush Site rules are followed, it will remain open. If rules are broken, it will close again and only be open two weekends a month.
The City will conduct a City-wide brush and limb pick up twice a year. These being held the first full week in April and October. This includes limbs that are longer than 4 feet, and larger than 2 inches in diameter.
Household Hazardous Waste (HHW)
The City of Kirksville HHW Facility, located at the Public Works Complex at 2001 N. Osteopathy, is open to the residents of Kirksville in the months of May and September on the third Saturday, from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm, by appointment only. When scheduling an appointment, residents must identify the HHW type(s) and the quantity they intend to drop off. No unscheduled drop offs will be allowed. To schedule a drop off, contact the Public Works Department at 660.627.1291.
Still have questions? Check here: FAQs