Main content of the website

Zoning Information

Like most cities, every property in the City of Kirksville has a zoning designation: residential; commercial; and industrial.  Each of these three designations has subdivisions, and they are described in the City of Kirksville Zoning Ordinance (Chapter 44). 

Rezoning of a property is possible depending on the location and requires a Public Hearing during a Planning and Zoning Commission Meeting for their recommendations to the Kirksville City Council for final approval.  Spot zoning of a property in the center of a standard zoned area is not desirable and would normally not be permitted.  Rezoning Applications are required to be completed for any rezoning request.  There is an application fee of $250 due at the time the application is submitted to the City Planner.  

For assistance with zoning questions, call the City Planner at 660.627.1272.  

How to Apply For Rezoning

There are two options when attempting to get a rezone. The most common option is to rezone the property, which can be done by completing a rezoning application to the Codes and Planning Department.

Rezoning Application

After completing the rezoning application, the following steps must be completed in this order:

  • A meeting should be scheduled between the Codes Enforcement Director, City Planner, and the applicant.
    • During this meeting, the Plan Review Team will provide the applicant with specific details regarding the process, including the hiring of an abstract company.
  • The hired abstract company will obtain a legal description of the land and notify by certified mail all adjacent landowners regarding the time and place of the rezoning hearing. The abstract company will also provide signed documentation verifying all adjacent landowners within 185 feet of proposed land to be rezoned.
  • The City Planner will publish an intent to rezone at least 15 days prior to the public hearing in a “generally circulated” newspaper. The notice will obtain:
    • Legal description of land
    • Time and place of the Planning and Zoning Commission Public Hearing
    • The proposed zoning classification
  • The rezoning applicant and the City Planner will work together to present the case for rezoning to the Planning and Zoning Commission in a public hearing.

Rezoning is not always the best option for your property. If this is the case, then the City usually recommends a Special Use Permit. This permit allows for special use of the particular property under strict circumstances.

Special Use Permit Application

Additional Links

City of Kirksville Zoning Ordinance (Chapter 44)

Zoning Map (Interactive GIS)

Zoning Map (6-15-2022)

Planning and Zoning Commission Information